Manchester United’s first formal bid to bring Jadon Sancho back to the Premier League worth up to 100 million euros (£91 million, $117 million) has been rejected by Borussia Dortmund, Sky Sports reported on Tuesday.
Sancho, 20, has been a long-term transfer target for United as they look to build on finishing third in the Premier League last season and reaching the semi-finals of the Europa League, FA Cup and League Cup.
The England international joined Dortmund from Manchester City for a reported £10 million three years ago, but has shone in the Bundesliga to become one of European football’s brightest talents.
“The offer was for an initial £73m, rising to up to £91.3m, which fell short of Dortmund’s £108m valuation,” said a Sky report.
The German giants have insisted that Sancho will remain in the Bundesliga for another season after United failed to agree a deal by Dortmund’s deadline of August 10.
Sebastian Kehl, head of Dortmund’s player department, said after Sancho scored in a 5-0 German Cup win at Duisburg earlier this month, “Jadon Sancho will play for Dortmund this season”.
Sancho has started Dortmund’s opening three games of the campaign, but has not travelled with the squad for Wednesday’s clash with Bayern Munich in the German Super Cup due to a “respiratory infection”, the club said on Tuesday.
Dortmund confirmed Sancho has tested negative for coronavirus.