Elon Musk, a South African-born billionaire entrepreneur has overtaken Bill Gates as the second richest person in the world.
This comes few weeks after the entrepreneur overtook the owner of popular social media site Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg to become the third-richest, according to Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
However, Amazon’s founder Jeff Bezos, remains as the number one richest person in the world.
Musk was ranked 35th on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index back in January but his wealth soared after his electric car company Tesla was selected to join the S&P 500.
Musk’s net worth soared from $7.2 billion to $127.9 billion, driven by a surge in Tesla’s share price. Just in 2020 alone Musk has seen his fortune grow by $100.3 billion. About three-quarters of Musk’s net worth is comprised of Tesla shares.
Here is the standings of the Top 10 Richest Persons in the World according to Bloomberg Billionaires Index;
1. Jeff Bezos $182B (Amazon.com)
2. Elon Musk $128B (Tesla/Space X)
3. Bill Gates $128B (Microsoft)
4. Bernard Arnault $105B (LVMH Moët Hennessy – Louis Vuitton)
5. Mark Zuckerberg $102B (Facebook)
6. Warren Buffett $86.8B (Berkshire Hathaway)
7. Larry Page $81.3B (Google co-founder)
8. Sergey Brin $78.7B (Google co-founder)
9. Steve Ballmer $76.1B (Microsoft)
10. Mukesh Ambani $74.0B (India Energy)